For over six years, we have been there for you. Now we need you to be there for us.
Estonian World, the most read English-language media outlet about Estonia, is in a critical need of funding. We have highlighted ten reasons why you should consider supporting us.
When we founded Estonian World, we didn’t do it for money. We did it because as young Estonian expats, working in London, we wanted more people in the world to know about how Estonians do things and what we are all about. Until now, we’ve offered our online content for free. But we can no longer afford to operate Estonian World this way.
According to the Alliance of Audited Media, an industry group that monitors the circulation of news publishers, the percentage of legitimate websites generating relevant, original content is very low – about 3% of the world’s 329 million websites – because the economics are brutal.
Therefore, we can’t keep up our work without your help. To continue creating this professional media outlet, we need support.
What’s at stake?
Imagine the Estonian world without Estonian World.
Without our contributors and editors writing compelling content.
Without us telling your side of the story.
Without us helping Estonia to be even more well-known all over the world.
Without our editorial board being a voice of reason.
Imagine it. And then help us make sure it doesn’t happen.
Why support Estonian World? Here’s why:
- Estonian World is the most global Estonian media outlet that has had readers in 230 countries and territories.
2. Estonian World has a large network of contributors around the world – over 200 authors have contributed or are contributing to the content. Due to the limited financial resources, much of the potential of this network is untapped.
3. Estonian World is practically the only Estonian English-language media outlet that publishes human interest stories, long interviews and feature stories, placing a lot of emphasis on culture, identity, traditions and history. It also constantly highlights new creative talent from Estonia.
4. Estonian World is the only Estonian English-language media outlet that runs dedicated security, tech and science/education sections.
5. Much of Estonian World’s content is published through a global angle, meaning it creates interest among the people who live abroad. Approximately one-third of our readers are the descendants of Estonians – they don’t speak Estonian anymore, but like to keep up with Estonia. Estonian World provides them with this opportunity. Estonian World is like a bridge between those communities and Estonia proper.
6. Increasingly, Estonian World is an important source of information for Estonia-based expats who want to learn more about the country.
7. Estonian World’s servers are based in the US and so is part of its team. In case of a critical security situation, such as a hypothetical attack against Estonia, Estonian World would be one of the media outlets that would continue to operate and inform its readers across the world.
8. Estonian World is followed by many globally influential figureheads, such as the former Swedish prime minister, Carl Bildt; the Economist’s senior editor, Edward Lucas; CNN and Daily Beast author Michael Weiss; writer Sofi Oksanen; the UK Secretary of State for International Trade, Liam Fox MP – and many others. In addition, our articles have been picked up by global media outlets, such as BBC, Business Insider, Daily Mail and the Independent.
9. We are a team of professional journalists whose greatest assets are integrity, honesty and sticking to the truth. Yes, we strive to be positive, but we don’t sugarcoat. Our professional ethics dictates objectivity above everything else. It is also the reason we’ve kept it ad-free.
10. Last, but not least – Estonian World is the most engaging English-language media outlet about Estonia, with over 44,000 followers in the social media. In fact, Estonian World was in 2017 rated as the number one Estonia authority on the social media by the Paris-based agency, Agilience.
Please consider supporting us in our efforts. We’d be grateful for every level of support – here’s how you can support us via Patreon or PayPal (see Donate via PayPal button)
Alternatively, you can also use bank transfer:
Bank: LHV Pank (Estonia)
Name: Estonian World Media OÜ
Cover: Estonian World’s cofounders Silver Tambur, Sten Hankewitz and Sander Saar.